Vacations to Galapagos Islands
- Help protect one of the world’s most extraordinary ecosystems
- Assist with sea turtle and giant tortoise conservation projects
- Explore two of the Galapagos Islands: San Cristóbal and Isabela
- See wildlife close-up, including giant tortoise, marine iguana, and penguins
Settled on the equator under the tropical sun, yet bathed by the cool waters of the Humboldt and Cromwell currents, the Galapagos Islands house an intriguing mix of tropical and temperate environments with a plant and animal ecology that is second-to-none. The lack of natural predators has left many of the inhabitants fearless, resulting in extraordinary opportunities to view wildlife, including the giant tortoise, penguins, and marine iguanas. Join a unique opportunity to work directly with Galapagos giant tortoises and sea turtles, assisting with their conservation and the protection of this world treasure.
REI is pleased to offer this exciting volunteer and travel opportunity in partnership with Conservation Volunteers International Program (Conservation VIP), a nonprofit dedicated to the sustainability of some of the world's greatest landscapes and cultural sites.
Our adventure begins on the island of San Cristóbal and ends on the island of Baltra in the Galapagos. Volunteer work leadership, meals noted in the itinerary, all lodging, and inter-island transfers are included.
This REI volunteer vacation is offered in partnership with Conservation Volunteers International Program. Additional detail regarding the special features of these trips can be accessed on the CVIP website.
- Route Variation - Please note – Specific work locations may vary with each volunteer expedition.
- Day 1 - Welcome to the Galapagos and San Cristóbal Island!
- Day 2 - Get oriented to our sea turtle research project.
- Days 3-4 - Help researchers with a sea turtle census while boating and snorkeling.
- Day 5 - Transfer to Isla Isabela and visit a tortoise captive-breeding center.
- Day 6 - Participate in further turtle census research.
- Day 7 - Travel to an eco-camp and get oriented to our tortoise project.
- Days 8-9 - Galapagos giant tortoise projects at Campo Duro.
- Day 10 - Take a hike up Sierra Negra Volcano and return to Puerto Villamil.